[whatwg] A better name than <gauge> for the element that shows a measurement

Lachlan Hunt wrote:
> Ian Hickson wrote:
>> So one of the HTML5 elements is <gauge>:
>>
>>    Relevancy: <gauge>70%</gauge>
>>
>> Unfortunately, the study Google did on Web authors showed that authors
>> cannot spell the word "language", and I see no reason to believe that
>> they might spell "gauge" either.
>
> But unlike the almost entirely useless "language" attribute, gauge will
> actually have a noticeable result in future browsers and so if it's
> typed incorrectly, the author would not see the result and, hopefully,
> go and fix it.  Whereas if they mistype language, they won't notice the
> error until they validate.

i second this, being English i have gotten used to American spellings,
such as color (and in terms of quake modding: armor), which means my
kids are going to get into some serious bother when they get to spelling
classes at school :-) but if i can do that I'm sure i can learn to spell
guage as, er, gauge.

will throw in my alternative anyway:

<progress>

Ric Hardacre