W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > whatwg@whatwg.org > March 2006

[whatwg] A better name than <gauge> for the element that shows a measurement

From: Henri Sivonen <hsivonen@iki.fi>
Date: Tue, 21 Mar 2006 10:19:08 +0200
Message-ID: <442FAC52-C21B-423D-9377-73CF2F794620@iki.fi>
On Mar 21, 2006, at 08:18, Lachlan Hunt wrote:

> Ian Hickson wrote:
>> Unfortunately, the study Google did on Web authors showed that  
>> authors cannot spell the word "language", and I see no reason to  
>> believe that they might spell "gauge" either.


> But "metre" is the correct spelling in en-AU and en-GB, and so I  
> think much of the world outside of the US may misspell it.

According to my dictionary, meter (measuring device) does not vary in  
spelling. Meter (SI unit) and meter (music/poetry concept) do. So  
incorrect spelling is not a matter of AU or GB vs. US but a matter of  
having the wrong word (like 'their' and 'there' for many native  

Henri Sivonen
hsivonen at iki.fi
Received on Tuesday, 21 March 2006 00:19:08 UTC

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.4.0 : Wednesday, 22 January 2020 16:58:45 UTC