[whatwg] A better name than <gauge> for the element that shows a measurement

From: Henri Sivonen <hsivonen@iki.fi>
Date: Tue, 21 Mar 2006 10:19:08 +0200
On Mar 21, 2006, at 08:18, Lachlan Hunt wrote:

> Ian Hickson wrote:
>> Unfortunately, the study Google did on Web authors showed that
>> authors cannot spell the word "language", and I see no reason to
>> believe that they might spell "gauge" either.

Wow.

> But "metre" is the correct spelling in en-AU and en-GB, and so I
> think much of the world outside of the US may misspell it.

According to my dictionary, meter (measuring device) does not vary in
spelling. Meter (SI unit) and meter (music/poetry concept) do. So
incorrect spelling is not a matter of AU or GB vs. US but a matter of
having the wrong word (like 'their' and 'there' for many native
speakers).

--
Henri Sivonen
hsivonen at iki.fi