[whatwg] Comments and questions on Web Apps 1.0

On Mar 17, 2006, at 18:48, fantasai wrote:

> Henri Sivonen wrote:
>> 2.4.5.
>> "To set metadata with meta elements, authors must first specify a
>> profile that defines metadata names, using the profile attribute."
>> In my opinion, it would be useful to predefine the traditional
>> names  and Dublin Core.
>
> Predefining the traditional names would be a good idea. As for Dublin
> Core, I think they need to publish an XMDP profile.

Well, perhaps Dublin Core isn't that useful on the Web anyway. A lot
of the metadata is already covered by traditional meta entries,
microformats, HTML itself and HTTP. (I still think that if one
chooses to use DC nonetheless, the profile and link stuff is crufty.)

There is already a profile spec in English ( http://dublincore.org/
documents/dcq-html/ ). Since UAs are not expected to dereference the
profile IRI, I think an XMDP profile is not necessary.

--
Henri Sivonen
hsivonen at iki.fi
http://hsivonen.iki.fi/