[whatwg] Comments and questions on Web Apps 1.0

Henri Sivonen wrote:

> 2.4.5.
> "To set metadata with meta elements, authors must first specify a
> profile that defines metadata names, using the profile attribute."
>
> In my opinion, it would be useful to predefine the traditional names
> and Dublin Core.

Predefining the traditional names would be a good idea. As for Dublin
Core, I think they need to publish an XMDP profile.

> 2.9.3.
> In my opinion, marking up names of people and works in the same does
> not fit conventional presentational practice. On the other hand,  using
> cite only for source citations causes different titles of works  to be
> marked up differently. Using <cite> as a generic "title of  work" could
> be marginally useful for styling. Is there any evidence  that the way
> <cite> is currently defined is useful for any application?
>
> I still think <cite> fails the "explaining to mother" test.
> http://listserver.dreamhost.com/pipermail/whatwg-whatwg.org/2005-
> August/004649.html

Something else to think about: If <cite> is reserved only for source
citations, what markup do we use for generic "title of work"?

~fantasai