[whatwg] Mathematics in HTML5

Did you check fences part at http://www.geocities.com/chavchan/css/annotated.css

> Also, the stretchy square root hack is just ugly.

May I ask how this issue is related to MARKUP proposal?

> Fractions are only used in display math, etc.

No. They can be used inline and can be nested anywhere. Check DTD.

> This is no coincidence, because CSS doesn't do stretchy math
> characters. Moreover, general-purpose text rendering subsystems and
> fonts usually don't do stretchy characters which is why math
> renderers typically special-case these with font-specific knowledge.

Once again, how his issue is related to MARKUP proposal?

> The Microformats process begins with defining the problem
> and, in so doing, verifying that there is a problem, seeing if there
> is a simpler problem and looking for prior art.

Problem is well defined, prior art is ISO 12083, process is going on.
As I see WHATWG does not want to contribute to this process and sends us
to microformats.org or anywhere else.