[whatwg] Mathematics in HTML5

On Sat, 17 Jun 2006, White Lynx wrote:

> "Basic Web application features SHOULD BE IMPLEMENTABLE using behaviors,
> scripting, and style sheets IN IE6 TODAY"

Given that <canvas> has been implemented in IE6, I have no worries that an
HTML-based Math markup language based on MathML (and creating a MathML
DOM) could be implemented in IE6 as well, if someone wanted to do so.

> "The core features of an XML vocabulary should require the use of
> elements from ONLY ONE NAMESPACE."

The proposal was to not have namespaces at all (and indeed, not even use
XML), so this seems co vered.

> "IT IS VERY IMPORTANT that authors BE ABLE TO MOVE FROM AN HTML
> ENVIRONMENT TO A CLEAN COMPOUND DOCUMENT ENVIRONMENT (typically first
> simply by moving to XHTML) IN A GRADUAL FASHION."

This was written when my opinion was still that we should be moving to
XHTML. I'm not actually sure we want to do that at all these days; most
Web developers seem to agree (there's almost no XHTML on the Web).

However, integrating MathML into text/html would make this imminently
possible, since it would allow one to write a text/html-to-XML converter
that actually took HTML5 markup with Maths, and turned it into native
XHTML with MathML, etc.