[whatwg] getElementsByClassName()

From: Jim Ley <jim.ley@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 3 Feb 2006 14:06:41 +0000
On 2/3/06, Gervase Markham <gerv at mozilla.org> wrote:
> Jim Ley wrote:
> > Rather than talk about technical details, can be talk about the actual
> > use cases please, working groups keep on creating things which need
> > implementing, testing etc. without once giving the use case.  This
> > thread is now 21 messages old and there's not one use case which is
> > fulfilled by a getElementsByClassName.  All the ones suggested are
> > fulfilled by the ability to attach events to a particular class name.
>
> I thought we were discussing it because it was in the spec? :-)

Firstly it has to justify its inclusion in the spec.  Until we know
what it's _for_ how can we possibly design it?  Or comment on any
individual design?

> I know nothing of this "attaching events to a class name" of which you
> speak. Can you give me a reference to a document or proposal describing it?

It's the one use case described in this mailing list,

See e.g. http://listserver.dreamhost.com/pipermail/whatwg-whatwg.org/2006-January/005434.html

 the document of course shows no use cases at all.

Jim.