[whatwg] <blockquote cite> and <q cite>

At 16:26 +0000 UTC, on 2006-12-31, Benjamin Hawkes-Lewis wrote:

> Sander Tekelenburg wrote:

[...]

> I assumed Anne meant something like:

> Works, IV</a></cite>]

Ah. Maybe, that's what he meant, yes. But I don't see how this offers any
advantage over a cite attribute. Quite the contrary, as you say:

> Which would be backwards compatible, but wouldn't unambiguously connect
> q and cite. Which is a major disadvantage in my view.

Agreed. (Also, I'd expect most authors will simply omit the cite element in
this construction, as it likely won't provide any 'obvious' advantage. In
turn, that will probably make UA authors not bother to implement this.)

[...]

[iCab's implementation]

> Thanks for letting us know about this. I don't have a nice shiny Mac

iCab runs on rusty old grey Macs as well ;)

[...]

> If anyone can think of an unambiguous, non-disruptive indicator for
> cited quotations, I'd happily attempt to add it to my implementation.

Why not display the element as a hyperlink?

> I'm a bit unsure about underlining, since that's already got quite a lot
> of meanings and potential conflicts.

Agreed.

--
Sander Tekelenburg, <http://www.euronet.nl/~tekelenb/>