[whatwg] foreign attributes Re: several messages about XML syntax and HTML5

On Tue, 5 Dec 2006, Elias Torres wrote:

> A few comments on your code. You can handle with n-levels deep, but
> not really nested property.

Why not? I don't understand. Could you give concrete examples?

> You are also assuming that the content of the element is the entire
> value of the property.

I don't really understand what this means. If you mean that I am assuming
that the contents of the element are all part of what the element
represents, then yes, that's how HTML works.

Yes? What about it?

> Microformats is very restrictive in how you can parse the data.

I don't understand why you think this. Could you elaborate?

> We need the flexibility of specify the content everywhere, yet the
> property apply to any element on the page, not just the parent element.

Again, concrete examples would really help me understand this?

> Also, remember, we are going after a declarative mechanism that binds
> "structure" to presentation and we don't know ahead of time all of the
> properties that are attached to a structure.

I don't see why this is a problem. The mechanism is (by definition)
extensible. That's the point.

It would really help if you could point to some real world examples (with
URIs) showing what we are talking about. Currently it feels very
hypothetical.