[whatwg] input type="country"?

On 8/23/06, Stewart Brodie <stewart.brodie at antplc.com> wrote:
> > > But what if you use a browser with an old list, and your contry isn't
> > > listed. Or are you proposing that browsers download a list every time?
> >
> > That could happen nowadays also, that a country isn't listed in the select
> > control. Indeed, I would think that the browser would keep up with a list
> > of available countries.
>
> Who would look after this list?  The U.N.?  Not all countries in the world
> are members of the U.N.  In which languages will this list be maintained?
> What am I supposed to do if I'm not on an Internet-connected node?

I would think the list is in the same language as the browser. I don't
see a reason why you should be connected to the internet to be able to
show the input type="country" widget (although for submitting forms it
is often necessary).
Yes, I know there are political problems, with a list of countries, so
there is an issue there.

Regards,
Martijn