[whatwg] input type="country"?

On 8/23/06, Martijn <martijn.martijn at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 8/23/06, David H?s?ther <hasather at gmail.com> wrote:
> > > Well, the browser should be able to keep up with the current list of
> > > countries, shouldn't it? It's not like it is something that is
> > > changing every minute.
> >
> > But what if you use a browser with an old list, and your contry isn't
> > listed. Or are you proposing that browsers download a list every time?
>
> That could happen nowadays also, that a country isn't listed in the select
> control. Indeed, I would think that the browser would keep up with a list
> of available countries.

Who would look after this list?  The U.N.?  Not all countries in the world
are members of the U.N.  In which languages will this list be maintained?
What am I supposed to do if I'm not on an Internet-connected node?

This sort of 'official list of all possible answers' thing is already a very
real problem for interacting with websites of less enlightened companies and
organisations (primarily in the United States, but I've found a few in other
countries as well, though).  I'm asked to choose a country from the supplied
list, but even though I've selected 'United Kingdom', the form still refuses
to submit because it requires me to say which of the 50 U.S. states I'm in!

--
Stewart Brodie
Software Engineer