[whatwg] <a href="" ping="">

Hello,

On 10/22/05, Jasper Bryant-Greene <jasper at album.co.nz> wrote:
> On Sat, 2005-10-22 at 20:25 +1000, Lachlan Hunt wrote:
> > It could be defined in reverse, where the ping attribute (probably given
> > a more suitable name, but I'll use ping for now) could be advisory
> > information about the final destination and the href attribute defines
> > the ping destination, such that following the href attribute would
> > perform a redirect, but WA1 UAs could use the URI in the ping attribute
> > to notify the user of the final destination (such as displaying it in
> > the status bar).
>
> Or the UA could just do a HEAD request for the URI in the /href/
> attribute and display the contents of the Location: header if the
> response status is 3xx. We don't need a new attribute for this.

The HTTP "HEAD" method really doesn't give you the semantics of what
you are trying to do.

"POST" would be better than "HEAD" IMO, since it conveys semantics
more closely to what we mean.  However, I don't really like "POST"
since it allows for all kinds of "social hacking".  IMO, using a new
HTTP method would probably be better.  Maybe "PING".

See ya

--
     Charles Iliya Krempeaux, B.Sc.

     charles @ reptile.ca