[whatwg] [WF2] Objection to autocomplete Attribute

On Wed, 30 Mar 2005, Lachlan Hunt wrote:

> How does that work?  Are you issued a new password every single time you
> login? How on earth do you remember it if it's always changing?

Instead of a password, the bank issues you with a hardware device that
computes a one-time password that changes every minute.

To be honest, the fact that there are still banks that use PIN codes or
passwords for Web-based access is frightening. I had rather assumed that
there were no banks left that still did that. Certainly it has been years
since I got an account with a bank that didn't use password generator
devices.

> > > Which seems to be an ideal use-case for the autocomplete
> > > attribute...
> >
> > Indeed, I've recently asked one of my banks to add autocomplete=off
> > because there is no point in having the browser asking users if it
> > should remember a once-only password :-)
>
> That's why user's can select "Never for this site" (or equivalent), so
> they're not prompted each time.

Having the site just do it seems like better UI to me.