[whatwg] [WF2] Objection to autocomplete Attribute

Lachlan Hunt wrote:

> Ian Hickson wrote:
>
>> On Sat, 12 Mar 2005, Lachlan Hunt wrote:
>>
>>> I realise I may be a little late with this issue, since WF2 seems to
>>> be fairly stable, but never the less I would like to note my
>>> objection to the inclusion of the autocomplete attribute [1].
>>

>> The "autocomplete" attribute is already implemented in user agents.
>> There's nothing we can do about it. I included it in the spec simply
>> so that it is at least defined somewhere, instead of being just
>> something people have to Know About without being documented anywhere.
>

> Then, please at least deprecate it.  If it's only being defined to
> help with interopable implementations, that's fine, but it's use
> should be discouraged as much as possible, therefore it should be
> deprecated.

What the WHATWG spec says on this matter is irrelevant; browsers will
implement whatever the banks dictate. As Hixie says, the spec only
serves the purpose of documenting an accepted standard. Therefore, I
really don't think it's worth any more time discussing this attribute.

--
"But if science you say still sounds too deep,
Just do what Beaker does, just shrug and 'Meep!'"

-- Dr. Bunsen Honeydew & Beaker of Muppet Labs