[whatwg] "canvas" tag and animations ?

Sjoerd Visscher wrote:
> Dean Edwards wrote:
>
>> Charles Iliya Krempeaux wrote:
>>
>>> To be honest, the think the idea of "drawing transactions" is better.
>>> Here are the reasons:
>>>
>>> #1: It makes it so, if the develop wants it, that they can have things
>>> that are "drawn" show up immediately.  (I.e., they aren't forced to
>>> use "double buffering" [or whatever].)
>>>
>>> #2: It makes it so you could have "long lasting" scripts execute.
>>>
>>> #3: It makes it so Java and C++ interfacing will work the same.
>>> (I.e., you don't have to give C++ and Java an API to effectively do
>>> "drawing transactions" without also giving this API to JavaScript.)
>>>
>>> So +1 for "drawing transactions" :-)
>>>

>> +1
>>
>> I'd hate to see them implied by script blocks though. That way lies
>> madness. ;-)
>>
>> -dean
>>

> I'm just describing how it is currently implemented in Firefox. And how
> DHTML rendering has been implemented for years. I don't think that will
> change, and so canvas has to play with the same rules.

I have been thinking about this, and I think there's no way to change
how this works. It would break a lot of existing content. And I don't
like a special case for canvas either.

However, it would be nice to have a forceRedraw() method on window, like
SVG has. http://www.w3.org/TR/SVG/struct.html#InterfaceSVGSVGElement

--
Sjoerd Visscher
http://w3future.com/weblog/