[whatwg] [html5] window.print() undefined

On Tue, 19 Jul 2005, Dean Edwards wrote:

> I'm getting fed up going round in circles trying to justify this.
>
> OK, we don't switch media. But when I press "print" or invoke the print
> method, a copy of the DOM is sent to the printer. If I have altered the
> DOM by adding elements or by changing the style property then I would
> like to be able to undo those changes before my DOM goes to the printer.

I really don't see why. When the user clicks "print" he wants to print
what he sees. He might want a slightly different layout (thus print
stylesheets) but why would he want different content altogether?

> It is not good enough to say that I should start messing about with
> classes and so forth or that it is bad practice to amend the style
> property directly. So long as I can do these things I want a way to undo
> them before my DOM is sent to a print device.

Let's remove a way to do these things then (especially amending the
style attribute, which is semantically extremely dubious, and very bad
for accessibility).

I really don't see why @media print { } is not good enough. It is, after
all, what it was designed for.