[whatwg] [html5] window.print() undefined

On 7/19/05, Matthew Raymond <mattraymond at earthlink.net> wrote:
> Jim Ley wrote:
> > You're saying that when a user print's an HTML5 user agent MUST stop
> > all setTimeout counters, I don't see that in the spec, nor why it
> > would be an expectation of a scripter.
>
>   So wait, we need to add new events because user agent vendors may be
> too stupid to solve print-related problems on their own? I'd rather not
> have events just to fix random user agent problems.

As a scripter, I do not have an expectation that print will cause any
effects on my scripts - Ian just said that it should have something
that is the opposite of my expectation, as this is not defined, it
needs to be defined - there are no user agent problems here.

> > The common use of onbeforeprint/onafterprint is to add content to a
> > document that is only relevant to printed media, this is something
> > that cannot be done with CSS, since CSS is optional, so if we just
> > hide content with CSS, we're stuck with the situation that users
> > without CSS or with an appropriate user stylesheet get it and get
> > confused.
>
>   What about the browsers that don't support Javascript, or have it
> turned off?

They don't get anything at all, this isn't necessarily a problem -
having content there which is visible on screen but not understandable
is a problem, a requirement from a previous project was simply date of
printing, this was required by the process, and the normal footers of
the browser were suppressed.  Another common one is adding links
explicitly in the page - to do this with CSS requires CSS3 features,
or for external links to be in a different class, and of course
neither are available in the most important Web Application platform.

Jim.