[whatwg] [html5] window.print() undefined

Jim Ley wrote:
> On 7/18/05, Ian Hickson <ian at hixie.ch> wrote:
>>Why would you suspend a timer?
>>(And why would the UA not suspend the timers itself?)
>
> You're saying that when a user print's an HTML5 user agent MUST stop
> all setTimeout counters, I don't see that in the spec, nor why it
> would be an expectation of a scripter.

   So wait, we need to add new events because user agent vendors may be
too stupid to solve print-related problems on their own? I'd rather not
have events just to fix random user agent problems.

> The common use of onbeforeprint/onafterprint is to add content to a
> document that is only relevant to printed media, this is something
> that cannot be done with CSS, since CSS is optional, so if we just
> hide content with CSS, we're stuck with the situation that users
> without CSS or with an appropriate user stylesheet get it and get
> confused.

   What about the browsers that don't support Javascript, or have it
turned off? Plus, what semantic content are you going to have that
shouldn't display in all media types? I suspect that if you have to add
or remove content for CSS-free user agents, you're probably using a lot
of presentational HTML markup.

> Of course for showing temporarily hidden stuff with script, as has
> been mentioned, there's no problem doing it with CSS.

   Correct. Personally, I think using inline styles via the DOM should
be discouraged in most if not all cases.