[whatwg] Publishing another Web Forms 2 Call For Comments soon

On Sun, 30 Jan 2005, Dean Edwards wrote:

> > > a global attribute also makes it harder to implement on IE6 where
> > > you would have to walk the DOM to find repetition blocks.
> >
> > Actually the definition of how the repetition model works is such that
> > you don't have to walk anything more than the parent chain of the
> > repetition template, and that applies to all UAs. So I don't see why
> > implementing this in IE would be any harder than anywhere else, at
> > least not in so far as the global attribute goes.
> >
> > http://whatwg.org/specs/web-forms/current-work/#repetitionModel
>
> you are assuming that the person who is implementing wf2 is attaching
> the HTCs. that is one way i guess.

Unless I'm missing something, you shouldn't need to attach an HTC to the
repetition blocks or the repetition templates. All their behaviour is
defined in terms of new form controls, of a sweep through the document
before firing the "load" event (which can be implemented as a load event
listener assuming you can guarentee it runs first), and as part of an
interface that extends HTMLElement and applies to all elements.

The only thing I can think of that might be a problem (assuming the above
cases aren't) is hiding the templates, but that could be done as part of
the sweep for repeat-start attributes on load, assuming authors don't add
more templates dynamically (which seems like a reasonably good assumption,
at least for an initial IE implementation).