[whatwg] [Web Forms 2.0] Last minute suggestion - The <format> element.

Ian Hickson wrote:
> On Thu, 20 Jan 2005, Matthew Raymond wrote:
>>I've been bugged for a while by the problem of formatting hints for date
>>and time inputs. The current model requires that either the server
>>determines the format for itself... [...]
>>
>>   I think we should introduce to WF2 a new element called <format> that would
>>contain the formatting hint text. This element would be rendered in legacy
>>user agents as text, but in WF2 user agents, its contents would be used in a
>>far more intelligent manner. Take this example, for instance: [...]
>
> I'm reluctant to add new features at this late stage. Does this demo:
>
>    http://whatwg.org/demos/date-01/
>
> ...not handle the case well enough?

    Where should I start?...

1) It uses a page worth of Javascript to do the work of a single HTML tag.

2) It uses a fallback method of displaying formatting hints that forces
webmasters to learn Javascript, even when they may have little or no use
for it outside of the date/time formatting issue.

3) It requires that you add the ISO8601 date and time format to your
server's date/time parsing, regardless of whether you actually want
people to be able to submit data to the server in that format.

4) On legacy user agents with Javascript disabled or unavailable, it
requires the user to delete the format hint when entering a new date.

5) On legacy systems, the user can still input ISO8601 dates and times
and have them validate on the server, in spite of the fact that the
dates and times aren't in the listed format. This may encourage some
users to use random date/time formats that the server doesn't support.

6) It may increase the difficulty of training people to use certain web
apps within a corporation, because you must train them to use a
different date format on legacy and WF2 user agents.

7) If a company has a specific internal date/time format, and they want
that format used on all company web apps, they have to configure every
WF2 user agent in the company to use that date/time format, since the
<input type="datetime"> control doesn't provide a method of setting the
format the user must enter the date and time with.

    Number 3 is the worst part, in my opinion. You shouldn't have to add
parsing on the server just to get a date/time control in WF2 clients,
and you shouldn't have to add Javascript to get a simple format hint on
legacy systems. This is overhead that the webmaster really shouldn't
have to deal with.

    Note: Modified version of the demo attached.