[whatwg] Web Forms 2.0 Feedback

Matthew Thomas wrote:

> On 7 Jan, 2005, at 5:58 AM, Ian Hickson wrote:

>> For <sub>, the ideal aural rendering depends on the context, but humans
>> are adept at interpreting things based on context and you could
>> probably get away with rendering sub by simply prefixing its contents
>> with the syllable "sub", as in "H sub-two O" for "H<sub>2</sub>O".
>> the fact that you can use the element to sensibly change the aural
>> rendering suggests to be that it is semantic enough to be kept in HTML.
>

> Except that "sub" is merely (an abbreviation of) a description of the
> typographical presentation!

Because that happens to be a convenient umbrella for specific
constructions in documents that need to be treated in a particular way
by UAs. Indeed I would be more than happy if Web Apps "clarified" the
situation with <sup> and <sub> so that purely presentational uses like
ability to UAs to provide an appropriate rendering in the case where the
presence of "superscripts" or "subscripts" in a sequence of charcters is
important information that needs to be passed on to the user.