[whatwg] Re: several messages

Greg Kilwein wrote:
> The key is _easily_ test the fallback content.  For those authors who
> just don't care, there's no default fallback content, which I think is
> worse than none at all.  Besides, if the upper-end authors really want
> to replace <input type="date"> with three select boxes in legacy UAs, it
> can be done with some script without imposing some sort of
> comment/uncomment testing method on lower-end authors who just don't
> know or care.

    The easy way to test pages for legacy fallback is to use a legacy
UA, but you were specifically asking how someone would test markup in a
_WF2_ user agent. In the end, the only way to know for sure that
something degrades gracefully on a legacy browser is to check it with a
legacy browser. For instance, you would not be able to test if your
client or server-side validation of the date works on a legacy browser
by testing it in a WF2 browser unless the WF2 browser had a feature for
turning WF2 off, in which case <idate> would benefit in a similar manner.