[whatwg] Re: several messages

From: Greg Kilwein <gkilwein@fbsdata.com>
Date: Tue, 08 Feb 2005 08:36:29 -0600
Matthew Raymond wrote:

> Greg Kilwein wrote:
>
>> I'll add one more problem - the author cannot easily test the
>> fallback content in the UA of <idate/> if the author doesn't have a
>> legacy UA available.  If the author can't easily test it, the odds of
>> the fallback content being missing or broken are higher.
>
>    Who are you kidding? To test <idate>, you just comment out the
> "<idate>" tags:
>
> | <!-- <idate> -->
> |  <input name="date1">
> | <!-- </idate> -->
>
>    Or you write the fallback and test it before adding the
> date-related WF2 markup.

The key is _easily_ test the fallback content.  For those authors who
just don't care, there's no default fallback content, which I think is
worse than none at all.  Besides, if the upper-end authors really want
to replace <input type="date"> with three select boxes in legacy UAs, it
can be done with some script without imposing some sort of
comment/uncomment testing method on lower-end authors who just don't
know or care.

Greg