[whatwg] Canvas element - Keep It Simple

Jim Ley wrote:
> Great, lets go with VML, supported on the majority of desktops out
> there, used by high profile sites such as Google,   It's a much better
> option albeit more complicated than canvas.

First I thought you were joking, but that is actually a great idea!
VML does integrate with HTML, not just XHTML, which was one of Dave
Hyatts major criticisms against SVG.
http://weblogs.mozillazine.org/hyatt/archives/2004_07.html#005928

It's certainly a lot more work to implement that canvas, but if it
became supported by other browsers than IE, it would be useful on the
wold wide web a lot sooner than canvas or SVG. Even if Microsoft
committed to support SVG or canvas in a future version of IE (which I
think is unlikely), it would still take years for the implementation to
penetrate. OTOH VML is already widely supported - it's just ignored by
developers because it is perceived as proprietary, and because Flash has
an even wider penetration (and better tools).

regards
Olav Junker Kj?r