[whatwg] [WA1] The profile Attribute

James Graham wrote:
> Lachlan Hunt wrote:
>> The problem with that method is that it doesn't allow values from
>> multiple profiles to be included within the same element.
>
> Is that an actual problem in practice?

It could be.  Say, for example, the Web Communication Link Relationships
[1] I've proposed earlier for link relationships were defined in a
profile, it could be quite probable that such values may be used in
conjunction with some from XFN.

eg.

> Having namespaces only where conflicts occur strikes me as unwise - in
> general the author is unlikely to know what the complete range of values
> in a given spec is and it makes documents very fragile to addition of
> data from new profiles and to addition of values to existing profiles.

That same argument also applies where there are no namespaces at all,
however introducing optional namespaces may also address the concerns
against namespaces.

> It also makes view-source style learning hard because...

View-source learning is already hard because most documents on the web
are non-conformant and invalid rubbish.  But I don't agree it would make
it harder since most of the time the namespace prefixes would be
required, only for the odd case where naming conflicts do occur within
profiles used by the same document.

[1] http://lachy.id.au/dev/markup/specs/wclr/

--
Lachlan Hunt