[whatwg] [html5] 2.8. Edits

Ian Hickson wrote:

>I'm aware of some, for example to mark a list item as deleted you can only
>mark the contents as deleted, not the item itself.

And you can't add an item as well...

>But I don't see these
>as major enough changes to require changing the edit markup model.

I use <ins> and <del> for editing specs and this is in fact *is* a major
limitations. Speaking briefly: it is not possible to markup editis for
lists (orderd, unordered, definitions) and tables except for replacing
the whole list or table altogether.

I mention lists and tables since I use them often but in general
problematic are any elements that allow only limited subset of children,
thus disallowing <ins> and <del>. May be there should be a separate
model in the spec about edits saying where <ins> and <del> are allowed
in addition to children specified elsewhere.