[whatwg] [html5] 2.6. Phrase elements

On Thu, 14 Apr 2005, Anne van Kesteren wrote:

> > I've added an example.
>
> You want to add a closing DFN tag by the way. (To the example.)

Fixed.

> Well, the draft states (this is SAMP):
>
> # Contexts in which this element may be used:
> #     Where strictly inline-level content is allowed.
>
> So it may only be used in strictly inline-level context, right?

It can be used "where strictly inline-level content is allowed". Strictly
inline-level content is allowed in content models that say "strictly
inline-level content" and in content models that say "inline-level
content" (the latter includes both strictly inline-level content and
structured inline-level content).

I'm very open to better names.

> How can otherwise ever apply:
>
> # Content model:
> #     When used in an element whose content model is only strictly
> #     inline-level content: only strictly inline-level content.
> #     Otherwise: any inline-level content.
>
> ..?

content, <dd> allows any kind of inline content (or alternatively
block-level content, but that's another story).

> Like

>   however, he was of course wrong, as this kind of nesting is actually
>   kind a cool, not?</q>
>
> ..? It looks terrible imho. Not something you put inline or so.

There have actually been examples of this in this in the past few weeks,
enough to convince me that in some cases it is a valid use case.