Transition from Legacy to Native rendering - (was Re: [whatwg] repetition model)

From: Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch>
Date: Fri, 25 Jun 2004 15:59:31 +0000 (UTC)
On Thu, 24 Jun 2004, Malcolm Rowe wrote:
> Ian Hickson writes:
>> Let's get back to basics. What exactly are the use cases for needing to
>> know if the UA supports an aspect of WF2?
>
> "Should I deliver this attachment page in a form that uses the replication
> model or in a form that provides an explicit 'Add' button with server-side
> postback?"

The design of the repeating template stuff is such that it should actually
fallback on the server-side version in HTML4-compliant UAs, so you
shouldn't need that, in theory.

> "Should I provide an input-box with an explcit JS popup calendar control, or
> should I just use 'type=date'?"

Good point... I'll get back to you on this one.

> "Can I rely on pattern=... to perform client-side validation, or do I need
> to use client-side JavaScript?"

You can work this out by testing for |element.pattern|. If it is true,
then the UA will test itself, otherwise you can do it manually.