[whatwg] about rich internat applications

If things are done on the server-side, then the question becomes what does
this look like to the server-side programmer?  If the server-side
programmer just does things by the Web App standards, then we would need a
custom preprocessor that would intercept this and change it into what IE
would need.  I am a JSP programmer so I know this is possible in JSP (you
can intercept the HTTP response in a standard way and change things), but
I'm not sure if it is possible in other popular environments in a standard
way (PHP, Perl, ASP/ASP.Net, etc.).  Also, remember that there would be an
adoption curve on the server side as well; would web hosting providers
install these convertors?  If things are done on the client side then the
server-side doesn't need to change.

I think there are three metrics that are very important for this working
group to consider.  First, what will be the reliability of using these web
app standards?  Will it be a pain because things work slightly different
across the different browsers, so much so that it is just easier for me to
just use Flash or another standard?  Second, is it easy to use? Were so
many compromises made in creating it that it is extremely difficult to
use?  Finally, what is the performance?  Is it fast enough for users to
actually enjoy?

To summarize, these three metrics are Reliability, Ease of Programmer Use,
and Performance.  The reason I brought these up in a discussion of whether
to put the emulation layer on the client or server sides is because if we
can't achieve these three important metrics on the client side then we may
have to do it on the server-side.

Brad Neuberg