[whatwg] a few comments to Webforms 2.0 Call For Comments

From: Matthew Raymond <mattraymond@earthlink.net>
Date: Fri, 30 Jul 2004 14:41:14 -0400
Olav Junker Kj?r wrote:
>>>If a range is implemented with a slider control, what happens if no
>>>initial value is specified?
>>
>>   Perhaps it should either be zero or the closest value to zero within
>>the range.
>
> Sensible, but wouldnt it be illegal for the control to automatically chose
> a value when none is supplied in the html?

    Sliders have to have a handle, and that handle has to be somewhere
on the slider. Therefore, it has to have a value within the range. The
default value for anything is usually zero. (In the case of sliders, it
could also be the middle value between the |max| and |min| values.)

    You could argue it's illegal (although I have no idea why it would
be), but that's pointless, since a control like a slider has to have a
default value. Now that I think about it, this could be used as an
argument why sliders shouldn't be used for <input type="range">,
although I don't really by that argument myself.

> Sorry, I should have been more clear. The spec clearly allows "maxlength"
> on uri and email (although with a warning like yours), and "required" on
> radiobuttons and checkboxes. I was just pointing out some small errors in
> the attribute table in appendix B.

    Oops!