[whatwg] a few comments to Webforms 2.0 Call For Comments

From: Jim Ley <jim.ley@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 29 Jul 2004 18:42:26 +0100
On Thu, 29 Jul 2004 09:54:10 -0400, Matthew Raymond > > Should the DOM
reflect default values? E.g. if a number-control does not
>    I'm no Javascript expert, but I believe there are actually two ways
> of getting an attribute. One if using GetAttribute, and the other is via
> a property of a specific element object. GetAttribute would give you the
> value set in the markup, whereas the object property would have the
> value used by the UA.

Oh right, so el.getAttribute('foo')  and el.foo would point to
different things in the DOM - what would el.foo='1' and
el.setAttribute('foo',1) do to the opposite one?

Seems a little unusual, and directly against 1.6.1 of DOM Level 2.0,
but WTF, It might be a good idea, I've not really thought about it.

>    I'm not sure about email. Some addresses can get pretty long. The
> same for URIs.

So you would be against maxLength applying to these controls - what if
I'm storing them in a varchar(255) would it not be a good idea to warn
the client of this?

> > shouldnt required apply to checkbox and radio?
>
>    Unquestionably. I've seen numerous web pages that require checkboxes
> and radio buttons.

Indeed, I believe we reached consensus on this some time ago :-)

Jim.