[whatwg] type="datetime" demo

On 15 Jul 2004 at 17:44, Jim Ley wrote:

> It doesn't work with scripting disabled when you enter "15/7/4" and
> then use the back button after submission, no hint is available to the
> user, even though that is essential to me being able to submit the form.

I guess most websites would handle this by returning the same form
with error message and extra hints, not like the demo that just tells
you to use the back button.

> Also could you point me to the parts of the code where input
> type=datetime is checked for support?

Ian should add that. If I'm not mistaken the discussion on the list
concluded that the best option was to check the "type" property of
the input element. It should be "text" if the UA does not support
datetime. So, Ian could add to his onload handler:

wf2client=(document.forms[0].elements['t1'].type=='datetime');

and use this to check whether or not to run the fixup functions.

> Rather than producing examples that work when scripting is enabled on IE6,
> can we start seeing examples that work on NetFront or IE6 with scripting
> disabled.

Have a server fallback that returns the same form with error messages
and hints is best practise. As simple as that.

--
HRMS