[whatwg] substantive comment on Web Forms 2.0, and suggestion

From: Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch>
Date: Mon, 12 Jul 2004 20:23:55 +0000 (UTC)
On Thu, 8 Jul 2004, Jim Ley wrote:

> This is not the aim of Web Forms 2.0 (I'm not 100% sure what it is,

The aim of Web Forms 2.0 (and other WHATWG specs) is to extend HTML and
its supporting technologies to give authors what they want.

> other than lets hurt IE's market share)

Hurting IE's market share is not one of the aims of WHATWG. (I really
don't see how new technologies could possibly do that.)

> I think it's a good idea for the WF2 clients to report back what version
> of Web Forms they support.

This has the same problems as I described for <ignore>.

> How about we require CC/PP with an appropriate vocabulary for the WHATWG
> for this?

CC/PP is, IMHO, backwards. The whole point of having device-independent,
backwards-compatible languages is that you can use the same content
everywhere. CC/PP encourages device-specific authoring at the content
layer, which is bad for accessibility (only popular devices end up being
supported, e.g.).