[whatwg] substantive comment on Web Forms 2.0, and suggestion

On Wed, 07 Jul 2004 16:07:46 -0500, Andrew Hagen <xah at myrealbox.com> wrote:
> Let's say Web Forms 2.0 is released, browsers support it, and lots of
> web developers implement web pages using the new technology.
>
> That need for another program would defeat the purpose of Web Forms
> 2.0, which is to validate the data on the client end (with the web
> browser), so that it doesn't have to be validated on the server end
> or with Javascript.

This is not the aim of Web Forms 2.0 (I'm not 100% sure what it is,
other than lets hurt IE's market share) but you will always need
server validation regardless of the client involved, be it IE or a Web
Forms 2.0 client or indeed anything else.

> webformsverokay=2

This would be entirely pointless as people can still send that along
with their invalid data, but what the heck I think it's a good idea
for the WF2 clients to report back what version of Web Forms they
support.  How about we require CC/PP with an appropriate vocabulary
for the WHATWG for this?

Jim.