[whatwg] Markup for Web Forms 2.0 that still requires discussion

Ian Hickson wrote:

> On Tue, 6 Jul 2004, Jim Ley wrote:
>
>>>I fail to see how <object> would make sense here. Could you expand on your
>>>proposal?
>>
>><object name="combo" classid="urn:web-forms2-combobox">
>>  <label> or select from the list:</label>
>>  <select name="combo">
>>    <option>Item 1</option>
>>    <option>Item 2</option>
>>    <option>Item 3</option>
>>  </select>
>></object>
>

> We couldn't use urn: (at least, not without registering a URN namespace).
>
> But it's an interesting idea. What do others think?

i was going to respond to this email anyway (before i noticed my name
with a question mark after it (below)). this whole <object
classid="urn:..."> thing is kind of interesting. although i intuitively
like it (it's so general) - it has zero semantic meaning (it's so
general). because of ian's comments below i'm going to test it....

> because in IE, the markup you gave above has no <object> element in the DOM.
>
> This would probably also make making a backwards-compatible version
> significantly harder (Dean?).

ian. you are right. i was unaware of this but after testing have
discovered that <object> elements do not appear in IE's DOM. i've no
idea what the origin of this thread is any more but i suspect we're
still on about <select edit>. i prefer the current solution over this
one (regardless of IE's inadequacies) because of it's additional
semantic value. despite that, this technique introduces all sorts of
possibilities. custom widgets anyone?

-dean