[whatwg] Missing Feature

From: Martin Kutschker <Martin.T.Kutschker@blackbox.net>
Date: Thu, 01 Jul 2004 15:57:46 +0200 (METDST)
"Yoeri Van De moortel" <yoerivdm at ultragenda.com> writes on
Thu, 01 Jul 2004 14:28:48 +0200 (METDST):

> I don't know if this is the right place to make suggestions,

It's the right place.

> I want a label that, when it is resized, adds "..." to the end of the
> string. eg. "This is a test" would become "This is a ..." when
> resized.

I understand that with "resized" you mean an element that is clipped.

Clipping is done in layout, so it should be handled by CSS.

So we need a way to tell the layout engine to treat the content of the element as a single line. This can be done with "whitespace: nowrap".

Then we need a way to tell the layout engine to crop the contents. This cannot be done. We could extend the CSS2 oferflow property with a crop "value":

overflow: crop('...')

Beware that cropping is affected by Bidi!

Masi