[whatwg] connecting usernames and passwords

On 17 Dec, 2004, at 11:50 AM, Ian Hickson wrote:
> It may be that this will get examined in more detail for Web Apps 1 as
> well, since there has been discussion about how to allow forms to be
> used to do HTTP auth, so that HTTP auth can be used without requiring
> the UA to provide its own UI for authentication.

But UAs already have to provide their own UI for HTTP authentication.
Adding the ability to do such authentication with forms would make the
user experience less consistent, because the interface on each site
would be different.

Perhaps a more consistent, and more backward-compatible, approach would
be to fill those gaps in HTTP authentication that currently cause site
designers to use other schemes (such as a destination URI for an
optional "I Forgot My Password" button).

--
Matthew Thomas
http://mpt.net.nz/