Re: WebVR and DRM

On Mon, Jul 10, 2017 at 10:39 PM, Brandon Jones <bajones@google.com> wrote:

> As I mentioned previously, a dedicated video layer is both a DRM support
> mechanism and ease-of-use primitive. In that context it makes sense for us
> to choose several formats/layouts that we know can be well supported across
> all platforms and commit to those. We know that if the defaults don't suit
> your needs you can always fall back to WebGL, but we hope that we can make
> choices that make life easier for the majority.

I was wondering what that means in practice. Suppose say WebVR-DRM supports
just equirectangular 360° video. So this would be implemented in Widevine,
which belongs to google. It would benefit Youtube (a google property) which
uses equirectangular projection. It would be delivered to users by way of
Chrome (a google distributed software). What would Facebook (a google
competitor) say about Google leveraging their software stack vertically to
employ a solution that puts Facebooks choosen technical implementation at a
disadvantage?