Re: WebVR and DRM

On Mon, Jul 10, 2017 at 10:19 PM, David Singer <singer@apple.com> wrote:

> Please stop it. Now you are attributing beliefs and motives to others, and
> stating that people are committing crimes.

So anti-competitive collusion isn't a crime now is it?

Stop now. Thank you. This is off-topic and out of place here. Invective
> does not make your case.

It makes my case excellently. DRM sole purpose is to inhibit innovation,
erect barriers of entry and exclude competition. It literally serves no
other purpose than those anti-societal goals. Eventually the legislatosaur
will wake up to that.

https://twitter.com/ID_AA_Carmack/status/746002754166980610
https://github.com/libgdx/libgdx/wiki/Distance-field-fonts
http://wdobbie.com/post/gpu-text-rendering-with-vector-textures/

> Look, I don’t claim that working out how to handle protected content in
> WebVR is automatic or even easy.

It's very easy. Just get rid of the DRM and all the problems go away,
automatically. It's what Facebook has done, and it worked great for them.
You believe you can do better than Facebook, really?

> But if Louay and others want to work out what the problems are,

Problem is already identified, it's called "DRM".

> and particularly what kinds of system designs would make VR and DRM
> orthogonal systems that can be used independently or together, I wish them
> well. What I would request that no-one does is (a) pre-judge how and
> whether it can be done (b) make wild accusations.

They're not wild accusations. They're a simple fact of DRM. You can ask the
EFF, FTF, GNU etc. about the harm and anti-competitive nature of DRM, and
they'll tell you exactly. But you know, I don't need those sources to tell
me how DRM is anti-competitive. I've witnessed it firsthand working for a
company that did develop DRM. I saw the contracts. Those are not contracts
you'll want a judge bent on examining anti-competitive behavior squint too
closely at.