Re: WebVR and DRM

On Mon, Jul 10, 2017 at 10:02 PM, David Singer <singer@apple.com> wrote:

> I think we’re going to be a lot more productive if we stay on engineering
> questions, and the opinion aside. Please? Your messages are coming across
> more as political point than engineering insight.

I see harm to society, users and developers, I point out how that harm is
affecting us. I see anti-competitive behavior, I point out how that'll not
pass forever. The point isn't political. There's no politics in common
sense. The currently growing generation of future leaders, lawmakers,
policy makers and engineers universally abhor DRM. You believe that harming
society on a massive scale for decades while breeding a generation of
future leaders with nothing but utter contempt for the content industries
anti-competitive antics is going to be without consequence, without a
monstrous bill to pay eventually?

Why you assume this is necessarily true of WebVR is less clear.

Timing would be used for audio synchronization in your spatial audio
solution. It could also be used to display subtitles and the like (to which
you don't have access). The DRM layer assumes that subtitles and the like
would be rendered onto the retarded surface, but that's in ignorance of
resolution limitations, and that there are font-rendering solutions
specifically tailored to VR rendering that provide more readability than
simply splatting texels on screen indiscriminately.