Re: requestPresentVR Permission API for web apps ?

It would also make sense to post to the old WebVR Slack channel - lots of
the main players in the spec are on that list.

http://webvr-slack.herokuapp.com/

On Sun, Nov 27, 2016 at 8:27 PM, Josh Carpenter <joshcarpenter@google.com>
wrote:

> Hi Paul, you may also want to direct this inquiry to the WebVR mailing
> list:

> There was recently a thread on this very topic.
>
> FWIW we plan on allowing requestPresent "automatically" (without a user
> interaction) on page load, if the user is using a VR browser, such as the
> upcoming Chrome VR, or presumably Oculus's Carmel. I don't know how that
> will work with iframe's, but I suspect Brandon Jones has given that some
> thought.
>
> On Thu, Nov 24, 2016 at 5:35 AM Paul Cheyrou-Lagrèze <paul@sketchfab.com>
> wrote:
>
>> WebVR "requestPresent" currently requires user gesture to be activated.
>>
>> In our case, we do load new page or new Iframe on user clicks, and it’s
>> in those new document that webVR requestPresentVR is done, at Document Load
>> event. (link to google doc explaining our current website flow:
>> https://docs.google.com/document/d/1R6Wt14K5jvdXLQc7niYSed_
>> YFSAB3tHPMqkS4b7hEeU/edit?usp=sharing
>> <https://docs.google..com/document/d/1R6Wt14K5jvdXLQc7niYSed_YFSAB3tHPMqkS4b7hEeU/edit?usp=sharing>
>> )
>> So current "user gesture" requirement doesn’t work for us.
>>
>> What would work for us, and seems flexible, would be to have the
>> "requestPresent" be permitted once and for all on our domain (
>> sketcfhab.com), after asking the user, and not requiring new "user
>> gesture" even on different webpage of the same domain. (staying in VR
>> across webpages).
>>
>> Seems using “Permission API”, ( https://github.com/w3c/permissions ) as
>> done with "Geolocation, GetUserMedia, , etc" would allow that ?
>> We would do a demand using permission API once and for all for our
>> dommain "https://sketchfab.com", prior to any requestPresent, and then
>> we can requestPresent without user gesture at any place in the code we want
>> (in our case, once everything is preloaded and ready to be viewed). Webapp
>> not having "permission” using API would still need "user gesture", so that
>> would be a non-breaking change.
>>
>> Paul,
>> Sketchfab.
>>
> --
> Josh Carpenter
> WebVR, Google

=================
*Dr. Pete Markiewicz*
*Email:* pindiespace@gmail.com
*Sustainable virtual design blog:*
http://sustainablevirtualdesign.wordpress.com
*Sustainability template:* http://greenboilerplate.com
*Sustainable Ux:
**https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iuOV5VywXTg&list=PLrJVv8APJhWmHnDXE7xIns5RjAmos1Nj7&index=8
<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iuOV5VywXTg&list=PLrJVv8APJhWmHnDXE7xIns5RjAmos1Nj7&index=8>*
*Teaching site: *http://plyojump.com <http://www.plyojump.com/>
*Buy my book! *- Millennials and the Popular Culture
*Lifecourse:* http://www.lifecourse.com/store/catalog/lca/mpc.html
* AmazonAuthor Page:*
http://www.amazon.com/Pete-Markiewicz/e/B0069VZ7BG/ref=ntt_athr_dp_pel_pop_2
*On that page, see my DARPA Grand Challenge 2005 entry video, "Team
Robomonster":*
*Team Robomonster *(DARPA 2005 Grand Challenge):
http://robotsthatjump.wordpress.com/category/team-robomonster/
*Indiespace *(1st to sell downloaded music, March 1994):
http://www.indiespace.com. Also see http://archive.org under
"Kspace.com" 1996 for our original site.