Re: What does an HMD need to advertise to enable WebVR?

The webvr-polyfill library does very little platform detection. It tries to
detect Gecko vs WebKit/Blink because there are some differences in how the
orientation data from the Device Orientation API is reported between the
two engines. But it should work on any system that has the Device
Orientation API implemented. Native WebVR obviously needs a browser that
has the WebVR API implemented.

Chrome 39 is pretty old (two years is ancient in this space), but I have
been writing orientation sensing projects for it for longer than that. I've
seen webvr-polyfill work in a very wide range of platforms. There might be
another issue like lack of native Promises causing a stopping error. You
should try to inspect the pages in question (Chrome has a remote debugger
available for this purpose) to see if there are any errors being reported
and that might give a better clue on how to proceed.

--
Thank you,
Sean T. McBeth