Re: SMIL in SVG

On 1/2/13 7:00 PM, Kai Hendry wrote:
> On 25 December 2012 17:33, Sangwhan Moon <smoon@opera.com> wrote:
>> Finding a way to minimize resolution/device dependency on the content is
>> something that we _definitely_ need to provide a best practice for - as
>> it is right now, most of the sign content I have seen is severely tied
>> to a single screen resolution and/or software stack.
>
> Yes, I'm glad we are on the same page here. :)
>
> I think I will work on a demo that's like the sign that you see at a
> money changers. Just printing the various currencies clearly.
> Information that the Web platform should dutifully fulfil. Though of
> course I want it work on any sized screen. Another consideration is
> panning the screen smoothly up and down as to show more symbols.
>
> This is my setup http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nla5SsWCSyQ

Any sized screen is quite a challenge. I've been thinking about defining
"standard aspect ratios" for signs in the deliverable (if we are going
to do one) at least, because from prior experience complete resolution
independence is something that is possible in theory, but not really
practical in practice.

Technically, this shouldn't be a huge limitation for the sign vendors
because the screens that can be sourced from panel manufacturers are
of a certain aspect ratios, like it or not.

I haven't had time to do a demo myself, but do plan to make such a movie
using Opera one of these days. (It's on my overwhelming backlog of
"things to do one of these days")

>> As a side question, which browser is this content designed for? I'd
>> like to take a look but have failed to run it on every browser I have
>> installed on my machine... (Opera 12, Chrome 13, Firefox 15, Safari 5)
>
> You mean https://play.renewchannel.com/ ?  I suspect you are catching
> it at the wrong times. It's basically turned off at night IIUC. It
> works on Firefox and Chrome for me. I have nothing to do with this
> company and I don't agree with the way they are going about Web
> signage, but it's definitely interesting.
>
>> The amount of functionality a average DOOH deployment provides in the
>> western world and Asia have a vast difference, and some of more complex ones
>> are quite Asia specific - so if there are use cases that do not
>> make sense, please do ask the list for elaboration.
>
> I prefer to work through simpler use cases than the ones listed upon
> http://www.w3.org/community/websignage/wiki/Web-based_Signage_Use_cases_and_Requirements

I believe complex use cases are still relevant in the discussion, mainly
as if those use cases aren't covered the main driving force (Japanese
companies) will end up not using the end result of the group, which
makes the work a bit of a moot point.

What we *should* do is is do a bit of triaging of the use cases and
group them into a couple categories so we can be more focused on
getting some work done on the low hanging fruit to start out with -
I'll send a follow up mail regarding this to split the thread, as this
thread is getting a bit too messy.

> I'm currently based in Singapore, whereabouts are you Sangwhan? There
> are lots of DOOH deployments here in Singapore and in Malaysia and I'm
> observing them. :)

I'm currently based in Tokyo, Japan, while originally from Seoul, Korea.
Both places have some of the most advanced DOOH deployments I've seen
around the world. (even compared to Taipei and Hong Kong, from what I've
observed - but I haven't seen Singapore yet)

Sangwhan