Re: SMIL in SVG

On 25 December 2012 17:33, Sangwhan Moon <smoon@opera.com> wrote:
> Finding a way to minimize resolution/device dependency on the content is
> something that we _definitely_ need to provide a best practice for - as
> it is right now, most of the sign content I have seen is severely tied
> to a single screen resolution and/or software stack.

Yes, I'm glad we are on the same page here. :)

I think I will work on a demo that's like the sign that you see at a
money changers. Just printing the various currencies clearly.
Information that the Web platform should dutifully fulfil. Though of
course I want it work on any sized screen. Another consideration is
panning the screen smoothly up and down as to show more symbols.

This is my setup http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nla5SsWCSyQ

> As a side question, which browser is this content designed for? I'd
> like to take a look but have failed to run it on every browser I have
> installed on my machine... (Opera 12, Chrome 13, Firefox 15, Safari 5)

You mean https://play.renewchannel.com/ ?  I suspect you are catching
it at the wrong times. It's basically turned off at night IIUC. It
works on Firefox and Chrome for me. I have nothing to do with this
company and I don't agree with the way they are going about Web
signage, but it's definitely interesting.

> The amount of functionality a average DOOH deployment provides in the
> western world and Asia have a vast difference, and some of more complex ones
> are quite Asia specific - so if there are use cases that do not
> make sense, please do ask the list for elaboration.

I prefer to work through simpler use cases than the ones listed upon
http://www.w3.org/community/websignage/wiki/Web-based_Signage_Use_cases_and_Requirements

I'm currently based in Singapore, whereabouts are you Sangwhan? There
are lots of DOOH deployments here in Singapore and in Malaysia and I'm
observing them. :)

Kind regards,