RE: FAMIUM Implementations of the Presentation API

Hi Anssi, all,

I am happy that you like our Implementation :).  Our basic Idea was to provide a plain JavaScript implementation of the Presentation API that works in any modern Browser and cross-device. This is why we introduced "Virtual Displays"  and "rooms" as described here https://gitlab.fokus.fraunhofer.de/famium/famium-webscreens/wikis/home. For the communication between the controlling pages and presenting pages or virtual displays we used WebSockets over a central server but this is hidden for developers. Using JavaScript and WebSockets for communication we can Implement the API as described here http://www.w3.org/2014/secondscreen/presentation-api/20140721/  . The only difficulty was in the Display Selection Dialog. We don't want to touch the DOM and create a custom dialog using HTML/CSS. This is why we use the native JavaScript dialogues confirm() and prompt() for display selection. For other platforms/protocols where native implementation is required we developed connectors that allow the JavaScript Code to speak with the native/ platform-dependent components. The development of Demo applications was straightforward. From the experience gained in the development of the Presentation API and Demo Applications we can confirm that the most features discussed in the Mail thread "Google/Mozilla Presentation API update" will improve the Presentation API from Developer and End-user (Usability) perspectives especially reconnecting or joining existing sessions. Please let me know if you  have additional questions regarding specific features or Implementation details.  We will make the source code available soon.

By the way if you are planning to participate on the IFA (Berlin, September 5-10, 2014 ) or IBC (Amsterdam, September 12-16, 2014) you are invited to visit our booth 22 in Hall 11.1 at IFA (www.fokus.fraunhofer.de/go/ifa ) or booth B80 in Hall 8 at IBC (www.fokus.fraunhofer.de/go/ibc ). We show also there some demos related to the Presentation API.

Best regards,

| Dipl.-Ing. Louay Bassbouss
| Project Manager
| Future Applications and Media
|
| Fraunhofer Institute for Open Communication Systems
| Kaiserin-Augusta-Allee 31 | 10589 Berlin | Germany
| Phone 49 30 - 3463 - 7275
| louay.bassbouss@fokus.fraunhofer.de
| www.fokus.fraunhofer.de
Our next events:

Visit us at IFA, Berlin, September 5-10, 2014
Hall 11.1, booth 22
www.fokus.fraunhofer.de/go/ifa

Visit us at IBC, Amsterdam, September 12-16, 2014
Hall 8, booth B80