Re: Allow page to designate itself as presentation session

On 2014-11-12 21:40, Anton Vayvod wrote:
> Hi Francois,
>
> I think allowing to join the remote presentations started by means other
> than the Presentation API should be allowed by the spec.
> This is somewhat similar to how YouTube/Netflix works already on PS3,
> Roku and XBox 360: user has to launch the app via the remote/gamepad
> first and then it can be discovered and controlled by the
> YouTube/Netflix Android/iOS app using DIAL.
>
> I'm not sure how the page that's willing to be a presentation should
> advertise that via the spec. Any ideas? Some meta tag/manifest value?

I don't know if a declarative-only approach is enough. Let's imagine a
little girl playing a game on her console. She might not want her
annoying little brother to be able to join the game at any time without
her willing to. Now, the game app can of course handle incoming
connections and ignore them if they are not wanted, but it would seem
cleaner for the game app to be able to propose a menu option that says
"start hosting game session" for instance to ensure it won't receive any
incoming connection notification before it is willing to accept them.

Francois.