Re: Updated Presentation API WebIDL - call for review

I have some concerns about giving the site control over the positioning of
the screen selection dialog.  Allowing content to manipulate dialogs
managed by the UA leads to a number of unfortunate corner cases and
consequences:

- The user begin to expect that the dialog will appear within the page
viewport, which then gives the page an opportunity to spoof it.  Not the
greatest concern (as a spoofed screen selection dialog would not be able to
do much) but I prefer not training users to confuse UA dialogs with page
elements when more is at stake (permission requests, security warnings).

- The <button type="screens"> element could be hidden, located offscreen,
or near a screen border, the UA would have to handle all these cases.

- Constraints for mobile (small screen, touch friendly) mean that placement
and UX for the dialog is highly constrained and the position of the <button
type"screens"> element would likely be ignored.  Consistent treatment of
the dialog (always handled by the UA) for desktop and mobile would make
behavior predicable for developers and users.

Regarding the context menu proposal, I have some concerns from a
discoverability point of view - how would a user know which elements
supported the requestSession context menu item?

Also context menus (as they are typically implemented on desktop) are not
the most touch- or mobile-friendly.  Perhaps there are some additional
mocks in the HTML 5.1 draft that show a touch friendly version.

m.

--
http://wiki/Main/OnlyCheckEmailTwiceADay