Re: Finalizing Second Screen Presentation WG draft charter

I haven't been carefully following this mail list.  I read this version
of the proposed charter from the perspective of an AC rep, thinking
about what other AC reps may bring up in the review.

1.
"Face-to-face: we will meet during the W3C's annual Technical Plenary
week; an additional face-to-face meeting may be scheduled by consent of
the participants"

This implies only one other face to face is allowed.  If it isn't the
intent that it be a maximum of one other face to face, it should be
something like "other additional F2F meetings may be scheduled (up to 2
per year)".  That's from the proposed webapps charter - meaning a max of
3 face-to-face meetings a year.

2.
"Presentation API
An API to enable displaying web content on a second screen and
communicating between authorized pages and the content that is to be
displayed on the second screen."

That sentence is hard to parse - the "ands" can be parsed as 3 separate
things.  "communication between authorized pages"  is intended to mean
pages in some set of authorized pages and something else.  It could be
misread as a separate item meaning between one authorized page and
another authorized page.  the description assumes the reader carefully
read and understood the scope section so knows what authorized pages
means.  the deliverables list need to be easy to understand on its own..

Suggested change:

An API to enable a page to display web content on a second screen with a
communication channel between one or more authorized pages on the
initiating device and the content that is to be displayed on the second
screen."

3.

More on the Presentation API deliverable section.

"The initial version of this document will be copied from
thePresentation API W3C Community Group Draft Report
<http://webscreens.github.io/presentation-api/>which was produced by the
W3C Second Screen Presentation Community Group."

That appears to link to an old version (the initial input to the CG?)
that doesn't reflect what the CG has done in changing the way this is
done.  i.e. by using a message channel instead of returning a
presentation browsing context. e.g. "Fulfil/promise/with
the|WindowProxy|of the newpresentation browsing context
<http://webscreens.github.io/presentation-api/#presentation-browsing-context>as
its value" is wrong now.

This CG should update the final report to use the current WebIDL.
https://www.w3.org/community/webscreens/wiki/API_Discussion#WebIDL - or
you're going to confuse AP reps with a report that doesn't reflect what
you have in the charter and what you want the WG to use.

If you want to get the AC charter review under way before you change the
report, then link now to a "Final Draft Report" that currently says the
final report isn't completed and point there to the current WebIDL
https://www.w3.org/community/webscreens/wiki/API_Discussion#WebIDL - say
the final report will be complete by the time the WG starts.

4.
"Test suite
    A comprehensive test suite for all features of a specification is
    necessary to ensure the specification's robustness, consistency, and
    implementability, and to promote interoperability between User
    Agents. Therefore, each specification must have a companion test
    suite, which should be completed by the end of the Last Call phase,
    and must be completed, with an implementation report, before
    transition from Candidate Recommendation to Proposed Recommendation.
    Additional tests may be added to the test suite at any stage of the
    Recommendation track, and the maintenance of a implementation report
    is encouraged.  "

The process is likely to be changed to not have Last Call as a separate
stage, merging it with Candidate REC (and happening when CR happens now
- that's been worked on in the process CG).  I'd change the sentence
that refers to Last Call to: "Therefore, each specification must have a
companion test suite, which should be completed before transition to
Candidate Recommendation, and which must be completed with an
implementation report before transition to Proposed Recommendation."

5.
"The initial draft of the Presentation API was prepared by theSecond
Screen Presentation Community Group
<http://www.w3.org/community/webscreens/>. Upon approval of the Working
Group, the Community Group will publish a W3C Community Group Final
Report of its Presentation API specification and will cease its work on
the deliverable. The Community Group may recharter to work on other
related deliverables that are not yet ready for the Working Group, or
disband when the Working Group is formed."

Isn't it the intent of the CG to continue work on other topics and for
those to move to the WG when it recharters?  If it is, you should say
that is the expectation.  The CG could decide not to, but it's better to
say what the current thinking is.  reading this, I'd think the CG has no
plans at all to continue.  That said, it should be very clear that the
WG and CG will not simultaneously work on the same spec.

suggested text:
"The initial draft of the Presentation API was prepared by theSecond
Screen Presentation Community Group
<http://www.w3.org/community/webscreens/>. Upon approval of the Working
Group, the Community Group will publish a W3C Community Group Final
Report of its Presentation API specification and will cease its work on
that deliverable. It is expected that the Community Group will recharter
to work on other related deliverables where it is not clear enough how
to proceed for it to be a workitem for a Working Group.  The Working
Group and Community Group will never work on the same deliverable.  The
Community Group is only one possible source for work under future WG
Charters, but can serve to do initial exploration for some future
workitems."

(see suggestion below on license section)

6.
"Some of the use cases that this Working Group aims to address, in
particular the discovery and control of a display service connected on
the local network, are also in scope of the Network Service Discovery
API worked upon by the Device APIs Working Group. This Working Group
will liaise with the Device APIs Working Group to avoid duplication of
efforts and of solutions in this space."

I think AC reps will see this as a red flag.  It appears to say the
proposed WG will be defining specs that overlap with or may conflict
with another WG.  I don't think that's what is meant.  Discovery and
control of a display device is NOT in scope for this proposed WG. That's
up to the implementation.  The charter scope section is pretty explicit
at saying that is out of scope.
http://webscreens.github.io/charter/#out-of-scope
<http://webscreens.github.io/charter/#out-of-scope>

Suggested change:
"While not a dependency for the specifications from this WG, the Network
Service Discovery API from the Device APIs Working Group could prove
useful in implementations of specifications produced by this WG. This
Working Group will liaise with the Device APIs Working Group."

7.
"This Working Group will publish its specifications under theCreative
Commons Attribution 3.0 Unported License
(CC-BY)<http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/3.0/>as well as theW3C
Document
License<http://www.w3.org/Consortium/Legal/2002/copyright-documents-20021231>(Dual
License)."

The AC will ask why  CC-By is needed.  I suggest the following sentence
in a new paragraph after the one above.  This depends on the suggestion
for discussing the CG in the depencies section above.

"As described above, the Second Screen Presentation Community Group
<http://www.w3.org/community/webscreens/>produced the initial draft that
led to this Working Group and may similarly produce drafts on other
related topics the Working Group could recharter to take up.  If it
proves to be the case that some feature or an entire spec has problems
that indicate it is not ready for standardization, it should be possible
to pass that work back to the Community Group. The dual license would
allow for that to happen."