Re: Extend fullscreen API to support second screen

ÓÚ 2014/8/27 22:03, Rottsches, Dominik дµÀ:
> Hi Duan, Francois,
>
> thank you Francois for following up in the exhaustive email thread, explaining the direction and choices, why we¡¯re aiming for an independent, non-mirroring display, as a - in a way - more generic solution, which also allows mirroring through an app-level implementation. I second your explanations there.
>
>> In a paper from Intel on second screen for web
>> (http://www.w3.org/2013/10/tv-workshop/papers/webtv4_submission_19.pdf),
>> fullscreen API is metioned:
>>
>>> The Fullscreen API is available but does not have a notion of
>> controlling which screen the
>>> fullscreen content should be shown on.
>> However the current spec doesn't have words on fullscreen API. Was
>> "extending fullscreen API to the second screen" approch considered but
>> dropped? Where can I find the discussions?
> For some context, as I wrote this paper and submitted it for the IPTV workshop:
>
> In this section of the paper called ¡°Situation on the Web¡± I am explaining the starting point for designing and evolving presentation API: window.open, proprietary extensions to the video element and Fullscreen API are mentioned as part of the landscape on the web. Fullscreen API does not allow using secondary displays - hence made an extension or a new API necessary.
>
> Our initial proposal then was a new API - since hooking it into Fullscreen API while keeping backwards compatibility with web content which uses it, did not seem to match requirements and use cases. Francois already listed additional considerations in more detail.
>
> Regards,
>
> Dominik

Dominik,

Thanks for the explanation!

I still have a few questions:
What did the "hooking it into Fullscreen API" approach look like in your
mind? and what requirements and use cases it couldn't match?
Do you think we still want a Fullscreen API like, partial mirroring API,
accompanied with the current Presentation API? App-level mirroring seems
still hard with current Presentation API, and some demos require
browsers' private APIs.

Regards,
Duan Yao.