Re: Proposal to abandon work on “Capture Handle - Bootstrapping collaboration when screen sharing”

On Tue, Feb 7, 2023 at 1:11 PM Elad Alon <eladalon@google.com> wrote:

> On the one hand: "disagreements seem to be solely over final API shapes to
> standardize."

Yes, as far as the state of consensus regarding existing deliverables, this
seems accurate to me.

> On the other hand: "I don't think we should solve more features for
> loosely-coupled applications atm
> <https://github.com/w3c/mediacapture-handle/issues/68#issuecomment-1285605351>
> "
>
> There appears to be a contradiction here. It appears that at least some
> disagreements are quite fundamental.

That's a comment on a proposal for new work. Even here, we seem to agree
apps communicating information to a capturer may be desirable, and
disagreement seems confined to API shape basically: whether the API should
dictate the structure of such information or be left open-ended for
applications to define. I expressed my preference for leaving it open-ended
rather than getting into listing features.

I don't see how this blocks progress or constitutes a "fundamental
disagreement", since the central feature here is the open-endedness, not
necessarily the structured part. It should suffice to enable apps to
experiment about which features are good and which are not. If some
features turn out popular, this might be good information to inform a later
consideration for adding them.

The major disagreement in that issue however, remains the shape, and I look
forward to seeing my concerns with the current shape addressed
https://github.com/w3c/mediacapture-handle/issues/68#issuecomment-1414120568

I look forward to engaging with you and other members to resolve the
remaining outstanding issues with the API, now that the uncertainty
regarding the document has been resolved.

Cheers,

--
.: Jan-Ivar :.